We are delighted to announce that we have signed up to the Elevate: the Inclusive Workplace Pledge. Elevate has been developed by Business in the Community Ireland to help create a workforce that is representative of all members of Irish society.
Business has a responsibility to improve inclusion in society and Veolia, through our new Inclusion Strategy and by signing up to Elevate we are proud to play our part. It is only through collective actions such as these that we can drive the responsible and sustainable business agenda.
Elevate is led by the Leaders’ Group on Sustainability Social Inclusion Sub-Group, chaired by Sinéad Patton, Veolia Ireland’s Chief Financial and Commercial Officer and Ken Scully, Head of Trading & Commercial Operations – Ireland, Marks & Spencer.
Tomás Sercovich, CEO, Business in the Community Ireland (BITCI), said “The global pandemic and movements such as #BlackLivesMatter have shone a spotlight on the major inequality in our society. Companies have a fundamental role to play and know that they have to do more. We are at the foothills of realising truly inclusive workplaces, but the power of a collective response from BITCI members and learning from each other will lead to continuous improvement as we have seen previously with our Low Carbon Pledge.”
What we are committing to
To ‘elevate’ something means to place it high up on the agenda. It also speaks of aspiration and hope. In ‘elevating’ inclusion in the workplace, we in Veolia are showing that we take inclusion seriously, and that we see it as important. By signing this pledge we are committing to:
- Document the diversity profile of the workforce, starting with the senior management team
- Participate in an annual BITCI report which will publish the diversity profile of the collective workforce of all signatory companies
- Annually develop one tangible action that ensures the recruitment or retention of diverse talent
- Annually report on the impact of this action
- Increase ambition on the equality, diversity and inclusion agenda
- Collaborate with fellow signatories to learn and create solutions for social impact
This is not a change that will happen overnight, but rather the start of a necessary and rewarding journey toward real inclusion, recognition and belonging.